As a teacher, I faced a dilemma regarding my students’ levels of readiness in understanding and effectively using figurative language and imagery to create meaningful messages. They struggled with ways to utilized design aesthetics when presenting information and in understanding ways in which organization can impact effective communication. Additionally, many faced the obstacle of poor confidence in their own creative abilities. I developed this arts integrated unit to target these issues, and I added a podcasting element to offer a 21st century presentation tool that would allow them to reach an authentic audience.

I presented this extended unit to George Mason University’s Northern Virginia Writing Project Invitational Summer Institute in July of 2014. I hope you are able to use this lesson in parts, or as a whole, and definitely with your own spin on things. Each of the components could easily be adjusted for use across any content area.

A Poet’s Toolbox: Utilizing Design, Display, and 21st Century Media to Teach Effective Communication throug…

Here are some pictures of the finished product for one component in the lesson, the poetry object and wall display.

Full poetry wall

Poetry objects